I humbled my soul with fasting” –Psalm 35:13b (NASB)
In our series studying the book of Nehemiah we see that he spent about four months praying, weeping, and fasting over the condition of God’s people in Jerusalem as well as the broken-down walls and burned gates. He also spent much time developing a plan to get everyone involved in the repair. Here at KHC we want to accomplish the same thing. We are fasting that God may break our hearts with the things that break His.
We will break the fast with an all-church potluck of soup and bread in the Harbor Room on Thur (2/11) from 6:30-7:15pm and then a Concert of Worship & Prayer in the Worship Center from 7:15-8:30pm. This is certainly a kid-friendly event so bring them along!
There are many different ways to fast: We can fast food and just drink water or juice, we can eat vegetables and/or fruit only (sometimes referred to as a “Daniel Fast,” see Daniel 1:8-17), we can choose not to eat any sugar or desserts, we can fast one or two meals a day, we can fast from sun-up to sun-down. We can fast hobbies or different forms of technology including television and social media. The idea is to set aside time to pray and listen for God when we would normally be engaging in whatever activity we are fasting. Seek the Lord regarding what would be appropriate for you to fast.
What Are We Fasting For?
- Personal breakthroughs (for yourself or a family member).
- Our grace disguised opportunity to grow closer to God and one another during this transition season.
- That we would go out of our way to welcome new people into KHC and our Life Groups — sponsoring them into the church as we would a friend or family member.
- Relational reconciliation within KHC (Mat 5:23-24; 18:15-18; Eph 4:15)
- That we would engage with the Nehemiah Prayer Initiative (30:10:20), praying morning. noon, and night in order to develop a new and fresh rhythm of prayer at KHC.
- That God would break our hearts for the things that break His – including the poor, lost, sick, and broken-hearted right here in the South Bay.